Sunday, January 26, 2014

Reflective Searching

Last year, my family and I went on a short trip to Washington, D.C.  As we were walking past the White House, my 11 year old daughter started asking questions about the house.  "How many rooms and bathrooms?" " When was it built?"  My 13 year old son asked for my iPhone and began to "google" it.  I stood back and watched and listened while they found their own answers and discussed cool facts about the house and the presidents that have lived there.  We continued our trip with somewhat of  guided tour through the city all with the help of Google!

It is pretty clear that we are living in a time of information abundance.  Over recent years, I've become more and more comfortable as a searcher.  I "google" just about anything I need.  I'm looking for a recipe, google it.  Need to get a stain out of something, google it. Can't remember what movie I know an actor from, google it!   I find it quite interesting that the term Google meant to describe a company has quickly become a verb.  I actually looked it up and here is what it says:

 goo·gle
ˈgo͞ogəl/
verb
verb: google; 3rd person present: googles; past tense: googled; past participle: googled; gerund or present participle: googling
search for information about (someone or something) on the Internet using the search engine Google.
"I recently googled my 7th grade teacher and found his current e-mail address"


In recent years, I've  become fascinated with all the Google search tools available.  Every time I attend a conference, I look for sessions where the presenter is a Google Certified Teacher and try to gain any many new tips as I can.  Tools are being added and changed so often!  One of my favorites that I always teach my students is the ability to search in Google by "Reading Level".  When conducting a search in Google, you can click on "Search Tools" and then you can select the reading level under "All Results".

I do consider myself part of the Google generation, even though I was not born after 1993.  The more I have learned about how search engines work, like Google, the better searcher I have become.  I think about what I'm entering into that search bar.  When I can't find what I need right away, I think about what I am doing and why I have gotten certain results.  I rethink what to put in the search bar.  When I'm helping my students develop their own search strategy, I try my best to explain to them my thought process when searching, hoping that it will lead some of them to stop the habit of typing the entire question.

After watching Eli Pariser's TED Talk on The Filter Bubble, I was a bit concerned about how I can avoid this happening to me. I began doing a little searching on that topic.  I found this article about 10 things you can do to pop your filter bubble. http://www.thefilterbubble.com/10-things-you-can-do
It's an interesting read.  I'll be using some of these tips to make sure I avoid the filter bubble and have access to ALL information.



 





   

5 comments:

  1. Aimee, that story about your family vacation to D.C. is a great example of how we use Google today. It sounds like your children became more interested and involved in the trip because they were actively seeking out the answers because they had confidence using Google. I see students each day telling other students to "Google it" or using Google to find out answers to a variety of questions. I've even heard my grandparents talk about using Google to find information, people, etc. online. As for the filter bubble, I was unaware of this concept. I thought Eli presented some very interesting information. I too believe it is important to pull resources and information from a variety of places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The searching by reading level in Google is a fantastic find! I will be sharing that one at my technology committee meeting tomorrow.
    I feel that we have to part of the Google generation. How else will we be able to relate to the countless Googlers that will come through our Media Center?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I use Google a great deal as well. I had no idea about the reading level tool, so thank you so much for sharing. I think Google and its tools are wonderful, but learning about the Filter Bubble will change some of my searches. I also find it necessary to share information about the Filter Bubble with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Google is a valuable tool, and it makes our lives lots easier! The more and more I use it, the better I get. I really like the seemingly unending amount of information that we have access to. However, someone once said, "with power comes great responsibility!" I am hesitant to allow my students free reign on Google in order to research a topic. Not only because of the searching skills that they have, but also because of what they might find! Although my school has content filters, and Google does too, it does not catch all of the content that may be deemed inappropriate. Therefore, turning students loose on a topic can be scary. I did not know that you could search based on reading level! I hope you might have some more tips that you can share so that I can feel more comfortable allowing my students to use Google!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aimee, your story is such a great example of our youths today. Well, then again, it's a great example of ALL of us. Like you stated, you LOVE to GOOGLE IT too! I'm as "guilty" as you are as well. I google everything!

    ReplyDelete